Current Community Support Effort:
Earth Month - Recycle Plastic Bags
April is Community Banking Month and Earth Month!
As a community bank, we would like to support our communities in helping “End Plastic Pollution” – this year’s national Earth Month theme. Lake Area Bank will be collecting plastic bags at each of our bank locations throughout the month of April. These bags will be sent to nonprofit organization Merrick Inc for sorting, then recycled into composite lumber. Thank you for supporting a good cause!
Want to commit to reducing plastic pollution further? While supplies last, we will provide a reusable grocery tote to use when shopping in lieu of a plastic bag. Stop by Lake Area Bank in April!
ALARMING FACTS ABOUT PLASTIC BAG POLLUTION
- A trillion plastic bags are used around the world each year (about 2 million used every minute).
- Plastic bags are used for an average of only 12 minutes.
- The average American takes home almost 1,500 plastic shopping bags a year - only 1% are returned for recycling.
- In the U.S., approximately 12 million barrels of oil are used each year to make plastic bags and wraps.
- 100,000 marine animals are killed by plastic bags annually.
- By 2050, it is estimated that there will be more plastic in the world’s oceans than fish.
- It takes 500+ years for a plastic bag to degrade in a landfill at which point they become microplastics that absorb toxins and continue to pollute the environment.
To Make A Difference
Lake Area Bank’s core purpose is “making a difference in people's lives”. One way we strive to make a difference is service above and beyond ourselves. We are dedicated and active in our communities. Our employees enjoy participating in several community events, parades and celebrations, as well as donating time and money in support of many organizations in and around the areas we serve.
As a community bank, we are dedicated to reaching out and supporting our communities through various bank-sponsored campaigns. Last year's efforts included:
- Food Drive collecting non-perishable donations for local food shelves
- Backpack Drive collecting donations of school supplies for local low-income children
- Mitten Drive collecting warm outdoor clothing for children and adults in need of winter gear
We’re proud to be a member of the communities we serve, and honored to contribute in ways that enrich the lives of others!